The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest: A Review

Swan Lake meets Robin Hood when the beautiful daughter of a wealthy merchant by day becomes the region's most notorious poacher by night, and falls in love with the gamekeeper.

The margrave owns the finest hunting grounds for miles around—and Odette Menkels spends her nights poaching his deer to feed the hungry orphans of Thornbeck. By day, Odette is a simple maiden who teaches children to read, but by night this young beauty has become the secret lifeline to the poorest of the poor.

For Jorgen Hartman, the margrave’s forester, tracking down a poacher is a duty he is all too willing to perform. Jorgen inherited his post from the man who raised him ... a man who was murdered at the hands of a poacher.
When Jorgen and Odette meet at the Midsummer festival and share a connection during a dance, neither has any idea that they are already adversaries. The one man she wants is bound by duty to capture her; the one woman he loves is his cunning target . . . 


What becomes of a forester who protects a notorious poacher? What becomes of a poacher when she is finally discovered?
Swan Lake meets Robin Hood is definitely a good description of this book. Spoilers, there is no merry men or a woman turning into a swan. So sorry to be the one to tell you. So yes you have your Robin Hood type who is Odette. Hunting illegally to feed the poor. Who also loves swans. If I tell you a secret, will you keep it? Every time someone says Odettes name in this book. I just think of Prince Derek from The Princess Swan. So even when her name is mentioned I just hear Prince Derek yelling, Odette!

So onto the story, it was very heart warming. Odette (Odette!) really did want to protect and support these children and homeless people. And it makes her remember her sad past. A downside to this book is there wasn’t a whole lot of characters, and not a lot of them were fully developed. I guess they didn’t have to be  since we had two main characters. Odette and Jorgen, but they downside is that they were practically the same person.  

Jorgen had almost the same story of growing up as Odette, but I guess that is what draws them together. The story was good, but it didn’t blow me away, it has something I don’t know if I love yet and that is instalove. They meet and they see nothing but each other. The story is original enough but nothing that surprised me or made me question because I felt like I already knew. It does leave something unanswered which angers me, but other then that it was a beautiful retelling. (Odette!)



I received this book for my honest review from booklookbloggers.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gilt Hollow: A Review

Human Acts: A Review

Rad Women Worldwide: A Review