The Shore: A Review

The Shore: a group of small islands in the Chesapeake Bay, just off the coast of Virginia. The Shore is clumps of evergreens, wild ponies, oyster-shell roads, tumble-down houses, unwanted pregnancies, murder, and dark magic in the marshes. Sanctuary to some but nightmare to others, it’s a place that generations of families both wealthy and destitute have inhabited, fled, and returned to for hundreds of years.


 From a half-Shawnee Indian’s bold choice to escape an abusive home only to find herself with a man who will one day try to kill her, to a brave young girl’s determination to protect her younger sister as methamphetamine ravages their family, the characters in this remarkable novel have deep connections to the land, and a resilience that only the place they call home could create.  
 
Through a series of interconnecting narratives, Sara Taylor brings to life the small miracles and miseries of a community of outsiders, and the bonds of blood and fate that connect them all. 



       I’m having a hard time rating this book a four or five star. This book was something so completely different then I’ve ever read before. This book takes on a generations of two different families on an isolated island. It was a very original story, there was a different mix of characters, and each took place in a different time with a different character some I cared about more then others.

As a warning I must warn this is a depressing story all the way. This book deals with a lot of subjects as in child abuse, animal abuse, murder and rape. Also black magic, which felt so weird in a mostly contemporary book. So this book had some very harsh elements to it, but I really did like this book I really didn’t want to put it down and when I did put it down, all I wanted to do was pick it up again. It wasn’t like I had other things to do, or sleep.

 So this such a fast story even though it takes place with different characters and times taking place during 1876 to 2143. Which is a part for the book that I really liked. I do believe this really quite unforgettable and I wonder what kind of book Sara Taylor will have next.


If you want to learn more about Sara Taylor or read a preview of this book check out her website. http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/authors/221050/sara-taylor




I received this book from Blogging for Books for my honest review. (bloggingforbooks.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gilt Hollow: A Review

Human Acts: A Review

The Noble Servant: A Review